Monday, May 11, 2009

I look around me and listen to the news and I'm so surprised to find myself in my native country. To hear the majority of the loudest voices out there you would think everyone had all just had a lobotomy. There is very little reasoning in the thinking. But there is a large amount of vitriol.

For some reason a lot of attention is being directed at something that seems either personal and not their business, or taking a probably innocent situation and trying to turn it into a scandal. Don't we have enough drama in our lives? Why is this type of thing taking up so much time? Don't we have a few more important issues to resolve like the economy, a couple of wars, education, health care and climate disruption?

I'd like to get into the meatier topics of our society and have a more substantial discussion. Let's pick a single topic for now and see what we can do with it. (no personal attacks accepted)

Water: Quantity and Quality

What can we do and what is being done to mitigate the larger demand, smaller quantity and more polluted content of our water?

I have lived in diverse environments from arid to humid; sparse rain to torrential monsoons; deserts to jungles. It is time to look at the lessons we can learn from our ancestors about how to survive.

Lesson one: Catch and save as much rainfall as we can.
Lesson two: Use only as much as you need.
Lesson three: Reuse all you can.

What is your opinion?

1 comment:

  1. The summer is almost upon us. In some places that means it's already hit temps over 100 degrees for sometime, and in others it's still nippy. My personal location means the days are warm and the nights are cool. But that won't last. This year I'm going to do something a bit different with my summer. I'm going to spend most of it enjoying the beauty and wonderful diversity of the U.S.

    I'm presently planning to head out on an extended - about 6,000 mile - trip around America. I want to see some of the grandeur and natural beauty of our country. I'll be taking pictures and sharing them with you. This is just too wonderful not to.

    There are a few national parks that I hope to include in my travels. Our park system offers a great opportunity for many of us to experience the unique geography around us in as natural a state as we can preserve, practically. I'll share with you both what my camera and what my mind captures of the places.

    I hope this will be a pleasant trip for you and maybe even give you a greater appreciation of our interesting country.

    Ed.

    ReplyDelete